“To each individual, the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit …But one and the same Spirit produces all of these, distributing them to each person as he wishes” — 1 Cor 12:7,11
Confirmation is more than just an event. It is the final stage in an initiation, a fulfillment of one’s Baptism, the beginning of a life in Christ. It does not end one’s catechesis; it begins a new journey of personal accountability and exploration of the faith. It is not a personal choice of Catholicism since one’s parents chose to Baptism them; it is the fulfillment of their Baptism, because they were given to God on that date. It is not merely a notation in Church records; It is a personal, powerful and eternal mark upon one’s soul, a mark which brand’s them as God’s and seals them for Him. In Baptism, a person is given to God. In Confirmation, they begin His work. Are you ready?
2017-2018 CONFIRMATION CLASSES STARTED ON NOVEMBER 12, 2017.
**Parent Meeting was held October 15, 2017 at 7pm. We are currently scheduling individual family meetings now through the month of November. Sign up sheets are on Shelly’s office door. The purpose of these meetings is for us to get to know your family’s dynamics and how we can best empower each candidate through this special year of their faith journey.**
Registration is CLOSED.
Interested 2018-2019 Confirmation students should plan to attend HSYG on Sundays (6:30-8pm) beginning September 2017. Program information will go out through those meetings.
In order to be Confirmed this year, you/your child must be able to answer YES to the following questions:
- I am 14 years old or older.
- I am a sophomore, junior, or senior in high school.
- I have received the Sacrament of Eucharist (made your 1st Communion).
2018 CLASS SCHEDULE:
CLASS ONE: Why should I be excited about being Confirmed?
NOV 12, 2017: The focus of this first meeting was to introduce ourselves to each other and to the Sacrament you are each preparing for. As we do at the beginning of recent years, I challenged your class to meet a challenge together & they completed my challenge successfully = which is always a good sign 🙂 This is a communal sacrament – we’ll be supporting each other, so its important to know: There is no bad question & I will not know every answer, but I will do my best to find them out and get back to you. Your input is VITAL – what you put into this year is what you’ll get out of it. Being Confirmed only happens once ~ we want it to matter. Your presence was missed, so please don’t make this a habit. I look forward to having your input in future classes. Like I told your classmates, this is the year to challenge yourself and your faith – be thinking about questions you have …. write them out and put them in our question box (anonymously is fine, if preferred) – we’ll go through these throughout the year.
What to do now?
- These are my notes: CONFIRMATION CLASS ONE NOTES, please review them. We’ll have you introduce yourself at the next meeting.
- One of the ways we encourage others is by sharing our faith story – I shared mine today. Here’s one to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6fD7D8coI0
- You will want watch the following video to get caught up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu3MoT_egFI&t=85s
- You will need to complete the following worksheet and turn it in at the beginning of our next class (December 10 at Noon in Classroom #3 & #4). You may download it here: Class #1- REVIEW (Confirmation)
- Due to our limited number of classes together (8 remain), you will need to provide a reason for missing the class. Complete the following form and attach it to your makeup work. Download it here: Confirmation 2018 | Missed Class Form
- For next month, research saints to select your Patron Saint for Confirmation. It is in this person’s name you will be confirmed – seek out someone whose life and passions you share and/or desire to have strengthened in your life. Write a page telling me who you are choosing and why you are choosing them. THIS IS DUE DECEMBER 10, 2017.
- Don’t forget to sign up for a time slot for you/your parents to meet with us, so we can get to know you and your needs from us better. The sign up sheet is on my office door.
Its not about being perfect. Its about having faith & when you embrace the practice of prayer every single day, that’s where transformation happens….that’s how conversion of heart and revelation of one’s purpose occurs.
It was a difficult class to miss, but let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!